Saturday, August 14, 2010

Anchorage, Alaska

Downtown from the Coastal Trail.
peek a boo
I was in Anchorage this Saturday and took a 4 hour "twilight" bike ride down the Coastal Trail. (New Blog title image) My main goal for the ride was to get a moose photo. The first ten miles were amazingly beautiful but no moose. On the ride back I had stopped to get a photo and I heard a rustle in the bushes across the path and turned my head just in time to see a moose push her head through the brush about 6 feet away. I was quite startled to say the least, but I was able to take the "peek a boo" photo, as the 1000lb female emerged from the brush followed by two large calves. Well, I had my moose photos; in fact, I was unable to pass for 10-15 minutes while the family had a snack and a drink along the path.  I continued back down the path, stopping every so often to photography the endless variety of fungi that were in full bloom. I have never seen so many different types and colors of mushrooms and fungi. The final icing on cake for the ride was coming upon a bull moose just outside of downtown Anchorage. (Top image)

Lunch by cook's Inlet
Juvenile male moose
so have you ever seen mushroom like these?

No comments: