Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July Workation: Seattle





Today I lifted a glass of wine to the opening of Chad and Tara Campbell's new Cafe and Wine bar here in the Phinney Ridge Neighborhood of Seattle. They, along with their partner Brian have successfully opened In the Red Wine Bar and Cafe, (may they quickly move into the black) The cafe is a beautiful eclectic blend of hip yet not stuffy, quality yet not expensive, private yet friendly wine bar with a tasty and full list of wine by the glass for $5 or $8. I lingered with my friend, while we were "working" (OK he was working and I was workationing), I could not help wishing that I had such a place to frequent in Phoenix; better yet I wish all my Friends and family lived in the same community where the weather is mild yet seasonal and the culture is urban yet small town, in the city yet near the country, in the mountains yet near the coast, like so many neighborhoods in the Northwest. Yes, I know no place is perfect but some places are closer to heaven than others. And there's the real rub, this is not not really our home, is it? We're strangers here, sojourning on the road, cast out of the Garden and looking for the City; where work is toilsome and rest is illusive and incomplete.
Yet redemption is about beginning to enter into divine rest even here, seeing the creator has surrounded us with gardens and cities that are images of Eden and the New Jerusalem like we are images of Him. So I raise my glass, with friends, home yet far from home, slowing down to "smell the flowers" i.e. worship, letting my heart fill with gratefulness and faith.

No comments: